Francine - Flash Fiction


 

I met her in a French village, the ones you read about in massive novels. She told me her name and I replied that it suited her. Have you ever been in love, I asked her as we drank tea in the village cafe. She paused and stared at the cool blue sky. I know of dirt under my fingernails, she replied with a smile. The feeling of the sun beaming down on my uncovered head. I know what it’s like to drink fresh milk and eat cheese with bread. Love is a luxury in a life such as mine. I finished my tea and pondered her words. You’re thinking too hard about it, she added, causing me to laugh. Tell me, I questioned her, are you happy here? She frowned and asked - you are a traveling bookseller, are you not? You have books that would make me forget the dirt for a little while? I nodded yes and she said - the world that you came from is a lie. Join me and discover what you lack. I gathered my belongings and a door behind me suddenly closed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae