The Quest For the Almond Croissant


 (Golden Farmers Market - Golden, Colorado)


Many years ago, my mother introduced me to the world of French pastries when we walked into La Baguette in Memphis, TN. Although the little shop had many items to choose from, my mom showed me the almond croissant . . . and I haven't been the same since. Their almond croissant was heaven to my mouth - the tastes of butter and sweet almond caressing my tastebuds. I ate their almond croissants once every six months because enjoying them meant not only a decadent treat but also a little bit of stomach pain afterward. It seemed that while I could appreciate the finer foods of the world, my acid reflux thought otherwise. Since that time, the almond croissant symbolized a moment of sheer selfish pleasure for myself, the one time in which I throw all gastro-caution to the wind and just give in. The almond croissant has become a bit like a World of Warcraft quest for me - seeking it out every chance I get and knowing that the reward will be just and delicious! No XP, though. I located other Memphis-based coffee shops and bakeries that sold the almond croissant - some good and some really bad. Yet, I had to applaud them for even selling them. Better a bad almond croissant than none at all. By the way, if you ever visit the Cooper-Young Community Farmers Market in Memphis, one of the vendors sells top-quality almond croissants there!

After La Baguette came Rue de la Course in New Orleans and their take on the wonderful pastry. Every time I visited the city (and eventually moved there), I knew that delicious almond croissants were within my reach. After I moved there during the beginning of COVID, my Sunday mornings were spent in the bank turned coffee house with my tea/coffee and almond croissant. It became part of my routine and I always looked forward to it. However, my time in New Orleans would not be long, for the call of the West beckoned me. Colorado was a strange animal to me and yet it wasn't. Several years ago, I spent time in New Mexico and found myself strangely attuned to the Land of Enchantment. No croissants but I did enjoy Navajo Fry Bread with honey and amazing blueberry pancakes! When I visited Colorado for the first time, I felt that sense of "welcome back". When I moved to the Denver area in November 2020, I felt adrift yet strangely calm, while my love of the almond croissant went dormant. However, while conducting a search of French bakeries in the area, I located one. And drove to it. And found my almond croissant once more! If you ever find yourself in Denver, try to visit Katherine's French Bakery on University Avenue. I've only been there twice and both times enjoyed their almond croissants with super crunchy almonds on top. Several months later, I began working at the Golden Farmers Market in Golden, CO (home of Coors Beer!) and noticed that a fellow vendor sold pastries. The almond croissant was front and center (see above photo) and I was overjoyed!

Why the almond croissant? Why not the Twinkie or Moon Pie or anything else? I love the taste, I love the satisfaction of purchasing one. I love the first bite, causing the almonds on top to fall into my lap while the powdered sugar dusts my shirt. I love the combined taste of baked dough, butter, and almonds rolling into one glorious sensation. They also cater to my Francophile ways - I adore the French and the almond croissant is like receiving a handwritten letter scented with fresh lavender. However, it's one thing to purchase an almond croissant. It's another to try and make one from scratch. Perhaps that's another reason why almond croissants mean so much to me - a new personal quest to make them myself. That day is coming soon. I can feel it. 

To all of the coffee shops and French bakeries that sell freshly made almond croissants - merci beaucoup!



Click HERE for the Viridian Tea Company Etsy Store - Tea Blends for the Strange and Unusual!


(Harlem Muse Tea Blend - inspired by the works of Nella Larsen)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae

A Flash of Jazz - Acoustic Bicycle