A Flash of Jazz - Ghosts


 

After three months of letters gone unanswered, Tony finally told me that he wanted to talk. 

At first, I thought it was another joke; that perhaps, he would disappear again. 

He gave me the name of a restaurant and a time and a day and soon, it arrived. 

I sat down across from him and waited. 

Well, he started off in a hoarse voice, I suppose you need to know the truth.

I slowly nodded and then grabbed my napkin in my lap. A really bad security blanket. 

He touched his glass of water as he said - I'm leaving for Colorado. In fact, you're the last person on my list to tell before I leave.

I started to laugh and then took a long sip from my glass of water. 

Of all people, Tony muttered, you're laughing? I figured you would be crying or something. That the thought of your older brother leaving you would be devastating news. Claire, he said, you're not being fair.

I finished off my glass of water and replied - you're the first to break the family curse. Why would I be upset? You're doing what I've always wanted to do. In fact, I added, I wanted to tell you that I'm leaving too. I'm heading to New Orleans. Next week. 

He leaned back in his chair and grinned, showing off that gap between his front teeth that never narrowed with time. I see, he said, which made me realize that no, he didn't. 

I didn't want any food, and I knew that Tony wasn't hungry either. 

And what of the house, Tony added. What of the ghosts, the lingering memories that refuse to dissipate. What of them?

I shrugged because I didn't give them another thought. The dead will take care of the house, I replied. 

And you claim that I'm the stronger one, Tony replied as he shook his head in disbelief. You've become so cold, so callous. What happened to the little sister who devoured books in silence?

I stared at him with a blank expression, then got up, hugged my older brother, and left the restaurant. The dead will take care of the house, I murmured to myself as I felt the chain finally break from the inside. 

(inspirational jazz album - After the Calm by Danny Green Trio



Viridian Tea Company - Tea Blends for the Strange and Unusual!

Click HERE for the Etsy link!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae

Lesson Learned - CONTRACT