Hair - Flash Fiction



I noticed that she played with her hair every five minutes. I wasn't sure if she hated her long red hair, or perhaps she was just nervous. Yet, as we talked about her new book, Katherina continued to twist, pull, and flip her hair as I asked her question after question. She looked at me directly with a stare that said - I want to listen to everything you say. I want you to know that I am here, fully present for you and nothing else. Before I had this interview with her, I was engaged in a fight with my soon to be ex boyfriend, Paul. He was getting tired of me always doing things without him, yet I told him time and time again that he was more than welcome to come with me. He then stated that my literary friends acted all snooty around him just because he hadn't published a book. I quietly replied that he was still one of the best playwrights in the country, but that wasn't enough for him. He wasn't sure if he wanted to still live with me, and by then I needed to get out of the house before I strangled him. So, an hour later, I sat across from award winning author Katherina Andreux for an interview that would later be published in a literary magazine. Yet, all I could focus on was the fact that she kept playing with her hair. At one point, she stopped talking, cocked her head to the side like a dog with a question, and asked me if I was alright. I nodded wordlessly, to which she slowly grinned and then suddenly began to cry. She placed her hands in her lap and lowered her head to sob; I'm sorry, she said, but I just can't go on with this. I'm a fake and a fraud and honestly, no one has shown any desire to read my new book. I waited patiently as she continued to sob, then handed her a napkin when I realized that she wouldn't stop crying. She blew her nose in a most un-feminine way and then wadded up the napkin in her hand. Do you mind if we take a break, she asked and I got up to stretch my back. I watched her walk to the bathroom and suddenly, my cell phone vibrated. I clicked it on and saw Paul's name, then took a deep breath to answer the call. Hey, he said, I'm sorry. I love you and I'm a schmuck. I laughed and soon he joined in as well. 



Viridian Tea Company - Strange and Unusual Tea Blends!

Click HERE for the Etsy store!



 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae