Lesson Learned - Lost In The Weeds




So, there you are. You're sitting in front of your computer, ready to work on a new novel or short story, or poem. Or, you're standing in front of a blank canvas as you hold your brush, ready to paint a new painting. You're filled with inspiration and you're ready to expel it out to the universe. And then, you put down the brush, move away from the computer, and start scrolling through social media. You get caught up in the drama of the world and how people are getting angrier and angrier. You discover a new game app that you have to download and play until you get to Level 27. You spend an hour looking at a friend's profile and wonder why they wasted time making posts about so and so. On and on and on, until you look up and suddenly, five hours have passed. No words on the glaring screen. No strokes of colour on the canvas. But damn, you made it to Level 27! This is what I like to call Lost In The Weeds. It's that time when you're supposed to be productive and instead, you're finding everything else in the world more engaging. Don't get me wrong; break times are important and it's always good to stretch your legs and mind. However, when you're spending more time procrastinating and worrying about why your friends are wasting time on social media rather than working, it's time to think about it. I learned that when I am close to finishing a project or an idea, I get lost in the weeds. Instead of seeing the project through, I go off the path and wander around for no reason other than a lack of confidence in myself and my current project. I'd much rather play Township than finish my latest manuscript. I'd much rather scroll through social media and complain than work on my enso painting technique. I would much rather get caught up in the world's petty drama than actually see my dreams become a reality. When I feel the weeds tickling my legs, I stop to look around. I'm in the middle of a damn field and I have no idea how I got here. I look up at the blue sky and the sun and feel the warmth on my face. I then take step after step toward the tree in the distance, for I know that the tree is my symbol of returning to my life. The weeds try to pull me back with images of social media posts I have yet to read, or the latest version of a game on my phone. Nope, I tell myself, I'm ready to return to that novel. It's a really good idea. The distractions dry out and die all around me and soon, I can touch the bark of the tree with my hands. I have returned to my life and my dreams. The weeds are dead. 


Lesson Learned. 



Viridian Tea Company - Strange and Unusual Tea Blends!

Click HERE for the Etsy store link!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae