Lesson Learned - Consistency, Consistency, Consistency


 

When I am about to embark on something new, I get so excited about it. For several days, I will devote much time and energy to the project in question, only to later notice how I may forget to work on it for one day. That one day extends into several and before I know it, I've forgotten to practice my violin, or paint enso, or promote my tea company on social media, or whatever is right in front of me. For years, I couldn't figure out why I procrastinated, especially when it involved something that I truly enjoyed. I literally found the answer yesterday - it's not about being lazy but rather being consistent. Apparently, many people have this problem due to focusing on the outcome rather than the process. I felt as though a light went off in my mind. The article was right: I was more focused on playing the song Eleanor Rigby on my violin rather than enjoying the learning process of getting there. I was more concerned with my tea company making money than actually enjoying my ongoing tea education and path. I was more concerned with returning to a size 12 than enjoying the several days a week exercise routine. Always looking at the end rather than the actual path. In fact, the only consistency in my life was that I refused to be consistent about anything. When I focused on the outcome and how far away I was from it, I would get frustrated and then just slack off.  After reading the article twice, I beat myself up for about ten minutes then I got right back on the bike and moved on. To be consistent means that you are devoted to your project or passions and not just trying to get to the end. Anyone can visualize the end, but what about all the hard work? What about the temporary setbacks and the little wins along the way? There are days when I just don't feel like doing anything except playing video games or reading a book. In reframing my mind, I give myself a little time to slack off to get it out of my system, then I go do whatever it is I need to do, even when I'm not inspired. I do it anyway because once you get started, then you quickly find yourself caught up in that special groove of being creative and handling your affairs without groaning. I also learned that in being consistent, it's really important to start small. Take small bites - ten minutes of meditation, three journal pages to write, or 15 minutes of exercise. Start small and work your way up until you don't even notice that two hours have passed by and you're still happily working on that one project. When I am consistent, I feel more focused, grounded, and naturally productive. Less so on the scattered brain and overwhelming feelings comingled with anxiety. One step at a time and make sure you do it every day. 


Lesson Learned.



Viridian Tea Company - Strange and Unusual Tea Blends PLUS Books and Artwork!

Click HERE for the Etsy store link!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae