Two Elder Goths Walk Into a Coffeehouse . . . - Flash Story


  . . . and it wasn't a joke. 


A black woman, dressed in a simple look of black wide-leg exercise pants and a shirt with the name of some bookstore logo, walks into a local coffeehouse. She looks around, instantly feeling the hipster vibes of the place, then places an order for a matcha latte at the counter. Music by some indie band she doesn't recognize pumps through the speakers set up on the wall, giving just enough laid-backness to the patrons without disturbing them. She receives her drink and locates a small table where she can read for a little while. Ten minutes later, a white woman dressed in khaki pants and a purple long-sleeved shirt with her long black hair pulled into a messy bun, enters the coffeehouse. She too looks around, sees the black woman reading, and then places an order for a large hazelnut latte. She receives her order and then approaches the black woman. The seated woman looks up and smiles, then gestures for the standing woman to sit opposite her. They grin at each other, for they are friends and it's been quite some time since they last saw each other. 

They take a sip of their drinks and so begins their conversation . . . 


How long has it been, Diane? 

Too long, Patricia. 

So, what've you been up to these days?

Aw shit, I need to tell you about this band called Knifeblade! Awesome Industrial group out of Denver.

I'm not really into Industrial; you know that. Give me Rosetta Stone or Sisters of Mercy any day.

Good times, good times. Hey . . . remember when we used to go to that bar, what was it called?

Ummm, hang on (takes a sip of her drink) I think it was called . . .Nightmare?

YES, THAT'S THE ONE! Remember how we used to dance our asses off?

I miss my spiky boots. 

Wait, you got rid of those boots? I would've taken them!

No, you wouldn't have - they split from me wearing them so damn much. But . . I got a new pair! I'm going to see The Bellwether Syndicate tomorrow night!

Jealous! Are they sold out?

Hmm, don't think so (checking her phone for tickets) - nope, they still got tickets! General seating!

Hold on (checking her phone) Cool, just purchased! So, how's Benjamin? That's his name, right?

(sarcastic laugh) Yeah, that's his name and we're fine. He's wrapping up the semester and then it's two weeks of vacation!

Nice! 

How are you and Monica? Still the perfect and sickening sweet lovebirds?

Very funny and yes we are. She says hi by the way. Can't believe we've been together for four years. If I hadn't gone to that book signing, I would have never met and fallen in love with the guest author. She's working on a new novel inspired by her three years of living in France. By the way, she's doing her infamous Pretentious Dinner on Saturday. You and Benjamin need to come!

We will; you know I can't miss her dinners. Hey, let me ask you something. (glances around) Do you feel old?

Huh?

So I'm 49 and you're - 

Old enough to know better (winks) and 52.

Yeah, so, do you feel old? Like we're too old to still be in the Goth scene?

Um, no? Ever heard of the term Elder Goth? I wear that label with pride.

Yeah yeah me too, but sometimes I wonder. Like, should I be more responsible and put all that foolishness away? Focus on my 401K or some shit like that?

Who says you can't do it all? Who says that you've got to fucking grow up and focus on your 401k? Wait, you actually have one? 

Yeah, I do through my job and I'm actually quite proud of it! But seriously, do you feel stupid for still clinging to your spooky ways? 

Nope. 

(grinning) Well then, I guess we're in it for the long haul, right?

You know it! Hey, wanna croissant? They make the best almond croissants here.

Yes please and ask them to heat it for me!

END 


(currently listening to the album Cryptology by Rosetta Stone!)




Viridian Tea Company - Tea, Books, Art, & Photography!

Click HERE for the Etsy store link!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Lesson Learned - CONTRACT

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae