Hear Me - Flash Fiction




 You're not crazy, she told me over the phone. In fact, I'm rather glad you trusted me enough to tell me these things. I smiled even though I knew she wouldn't be able to see it. I can hear voices all around me, she added. My mother used to threaten me with sending me to a mental hospital, until I spoke of how her husband, my father, was cheating on her. After that, she never bothered me again with those empty threats. So, I asked, would you consider yourself to be a witch? Oh yeah, she immediately replied. Do you think I am, I asked her, hoping like hell she would tell me no, of course not. She fell silent and then replied - yes. Yes you are. Why are you even asking me? I laughed off her reply, but I knew it was true. Especially lately, when the dreams come at night. We hung up, and I felt those soft and cold hands from my dreams touching my arms, comforting me while a voice whispered French in my ear. Oh Marie, he sighed, my sweet sweet Marie. My name isn't Marie, I whispered back, causing the voice to chuckle. Not now but once upon a time, back when we knew each other, your name was Marie. I felt the hands leave my arms and I took a deep breath to steady my nerves. Why are you here, I asked the room I was in. You don't remember calling for me, the voice replied in my mind. You don't remember that evening when you said how much you wanted me? How much you loved me? Yes, I remembered all that, I replied. Ah, but what you didn't know then was that there was a reason as to why you loved me. Because I was Marie, I whispered. So, if I am the reincarnation, why are you merely a voice? Who says I haven't returned, the voice replied. Besides, you left before we could meet. You ran away from me, from the city, from your broken life. Now that you're whole and remembering your past, I shall come to you very soon. I glanced around in fear, wondering if the voice would suddenly pop into existence and cause me a heart attack. Nothing like that, the voice answered. I shall see you soon. You will know who I am as soon as you see me. The voice faded away. I refused to leave my chair for several minutes. How would I recognize this person, this being? And more importantly, would I throw everything away to love such a being? I needed a drink. 




Viridian Tea Company - Tea, Books, Art, & Photography!

Click HERE for the store link!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae