Lesson Learned - Washing Dishes




Our dishwasher is not working properly but then again, maybe it's on strike. We don't exactly treat it nicely, especially when we slam our dishes into its waiting mouth so they can be cleaned and santized without us having to do the job ourselves. Several days ago, the dishwasher heated up the dishes but nothing else, so we called our rental company to make an appointment for someone to take a look at it. In the meantime, we have handwashed all of our dishes. I can't speak for my boyfriend, but I actually like completing the task. Whenever I clean a part of the house, I like to make sure that I do a thorough job. I don't like cutting corners unless if I'm tired or I'm getting hungry. When it comes to washing our dishes, I feel as though every item that now sits in our dish rack has been taken care of well. It's not a matter of just letting a machine do it without any thought, but now a matter of seeing just how many dishes we get dirty. Do we really need to use the large plates for a sandwich or a handful of chips? In the book How to Train A Wild Elephant, washing dishes or doing any kind of cleaning in the home can be used as a meditative practice. When I squirt the dishwashing liquid into the warm water in the sink, I think of getting myself clean as well. Removing the short term toxic thoughts and chatter that run through my mind, or giving myself a chance to just breathe. With every dish or item washed, I feel as though I know the item will be completely clean. Once I've finished washing the dishes, I will dry and put them back in their respective places so as to leave no trace instead of just letting them sit in the dish rack for several days. It's a task that is completely done, a sense of an accomplishment. Sometimes, I've noticed tiny pieces of food still stuck on a plate when I've cleaned out the dishwasher. When I clean, there is nothing left but sparkle and perhaps a faint citrus scent. Slow down and breathe to take a break from our chaotic world to wash dishes, fold laundry, or even drink a glass of water. It's about those little breaks throughout the day that really make a difference between coasting through my day like a river, or slamming my head against the wall due to difficulties that seem so much larger than what they really are. A repair person will be coming to our house tomorrow to work on the dishwasher, so that's one more day of enjoying a little extra quiet bliss in the home. 


Lesson Learned. 


Viridian Tea Company - Tea Blends, Books, Artwork, & Photography!

Click HERE for the store's website!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bibliophile Tea Meditation

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae

For the Love of Bookstores - Blue Cypress Books