Tea Is a Good Friend of Mine - Leif Hassell

While sitting at my corporate job, the thought came to me - why not interview Tea lovers and find out their stories? I love connecting with people, listening to them and why they do what they do. And of course, I DO love Tea.  And so, Tea Is a Good Friend of Mine was born!

I hope you enjoy these stories as much as I do - much thanks to those who shared their tales with me. Let's begin!


I met Leif Hassell several years ago through a mutual friend. When I started this series, he was quick to say yes and I'm glad he did! Welcome, Leif!




(very cool oil painting of Leif)


What’s your name and what part of the world do you live in?

Leif Hassell, and I live in Little Rock, Arkansas.


How long have you been drinking tea? What’s the story, morning glory?

Most of my life. I never developed a taste for coffee, but like any good Southern boy, I was practically weaned on Sweet Iced Tea. I enjoyed hot tea in the winter, but boyhood of watching Star Trek lead me to expand from plain old Orange Pekoe to Earl Grey. From there, a whole world of different varieties and flavors beckoned.


Do you currently work in the Tea industry and if so, what do you do?

No, but I have a cabinet of different teas that might rival a lot of suppliers- Ti Kuan Yin, Genmai Cha, White Tea, Moroccan Mint, the ever-present Earl Grey, among many others. I have still got a bit of the Viridian Kel Nira Herbal blend stashed away for special occasions. I like variety, so I try to let the day tell me which tea it needs.


Why do you enjoy drinking Tea? How does Tea make you feel?

I am most fond of tea’s ability to be a chameleon. Do I need a strong pick-me-up? Give me a dark, full-bodied Black Tea, piping hot with sugar and maybe a bit of lemon. Indian for lunch? A spicy, creamy Chai. If I want to relax at the end of a long day, maybe I’ll have Genmai Cha or an herbal tea, say Chamomile or Mint. No matter what mood or situation I find myself in, there is a tea that seems to match.


Any special practices or customs you adhere to while drinking your Tea?

It depends. I do prefer my hot tea loose leaf, if I can get it that way. I have always wanted to participate in an authentic Japanese Tea Ceremony, but have yet to have the pleasure.


What’s your all time favourite kind/blend of Tea?

Almost impossible to answer. If you back me against the wall, I’d probably fall back to Earl Grey, since it really was my introduction to the wider world of tea, as a young man. A lot of my tea cabinet rotates as I can find one variety or another, but I always have Earl Grey.


Finally, what book are you currently reading?

I just picked up a copy of Neal Stephenson’s new Novel “Fall, or Dodge in Hell.” I have been a fan of Stephenson for years, ever since I read “Snow Crash” in the 90’s.



Thanks again, Leif!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae