For the Love of Bookstores - Boulder Book Store

 


Colorado never ceases to amaze me. The more I look after my well-being, the more Colorado opens his arms wide for an embrace. And all I can do is embrace him right back. And yes, I think Colorado is a burly man who lives alone and makes furniture. I have no idea where I got that from but just roll with it. This feeling especially came into play when my boyfriend and I visited Boulder this past weekend. Although we've visited the town before, this visit we actually spent some time walking down Pearl Street, the main drag for all kinds of shops and restaurants and anything else your heart desires with a hipster frame surrounding it. Our first stop on the street was to Boulder Book Store, listed as THE book store of the year. As soon as I saw the "we have three floors of books" sign, I think I glided inside. Three floors of books, Boulder merchandise, and quite the supply of Buddhist-influenced items greet you. Everywhere I looked I saw books that I wanted to purchase and I knew I would pay for it in the long run. I left thirty minutes later with a little bit of my pride left and lots of cool stuff. My book buying senses were so bad that I wanted to leave. I just can't handle being surrounded by so many books that "wanted" me to take them home. 


This book store, and in fact all of Boulder, has a vibe to it. Sure, it's a college town, but there's more. I remember at one point that I turned to look at the snow-covered mountains and felt such peace wash over me. I felt that way in the book store, I felt that way as we walked on Pearl, and I felt that way when we walked into Ku Cha House of Tea. I actually felt tears coming to my eyes when we stepped into the tea house. It wasn't just because I'm an eccentric fool, but rather that the emotions in me were running high. Or perhaps it was the town of Boulder coming into contact with my soul. Freedom, independence, rebellion, hipster, hippie, and quiet. I wanted to be quiet in the bookstore - wandering around with no plans for anything else for the remainder of the day. No one there would have thought me to be weird for thinking such a thought. Boulder is also known as the headquarters of Celestial Seasonings, Naropa University, and Shambhala Publications. Boulder Book Store is a reflection of the connections it has with everything in the town and you can't help but want to dive in with both feet and wide eyes. 

(my boyfriend and his son)

We located other bookstores and I made mental notes to visit them on future trips (Boulder is only an hour away from where we live). They will get their own essay as well in the really not distant future. For now, as I drink my coffee or tea in my Boulder Book Store mug while wearing my Boulder Book Store shirt, I know that the groovy mountain calming vibes will linger within me. And I welcome them. 

Oh yeah, I purchased the books A Woman of Intelligence by Karin Tanabe, The City of Mists by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Notes of a Dirty Old Man by Charles Bukowski, and The Beautiful Ones by Silvia Moreno - Garcia. 




Viridian Tea Company - Tea Blends for the Strange and Unusual!

Click HERE for the Etsy store link!



Tea Muse Herbal Tisane 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae

Choices - Flash Fiction