The Middle - Jasmine


 

My guide and I stepped out of what looked to be an overgrown rosebush and faced a Japanese-styled house. The house exuded a sense of calm as we took off our shoes and entered. 

Hello, I called out, is anyone here?

He is, my guide replied, and apparently has been waiting for us. We were next. 

I nodded and we walked further into the house. Paintings of cranes sparsely decorated the walls, while the scent of jasmine greeted my nose. We finally found an older man seated before a low table in the back room. His eyes were focused on the teapot and three cups on the table, only to suddenly look up at us and smile.

Greetings, he said, and welcome to this home. I am the caretaker of this house. Please, sit and have a cup of tea with me. 

We sat across from him and watched as slowly poured our fragrant cups of tea into the cups, then handed a cup to each of us. I bowed my head and then took a small sip. Vegetal green and just bloomed jasmine flowers tickled my lips and tongue. 

My task is to pour tea for strangers who come here, he said. I do not know how long I have been here, nor do I know when I shall return to my own time. 

Do you remember who you were before, I asked him. 

I . . .used to be a mighty warrior, he slowly replied. A samurai. I fought well for my lord and never complained about any of the tasks he required of me. One day, or was it night, I sat in my home cleaning my katana, when a strange mist crept into my garden. It was not the colour of blood, nor was it the colour of evil. I set my katana to the side and walked outside to face the mist. I was not afraid of it. I reached out with my hand and suddenly, I appeared here. This house was in disrepair, and so I set to cleaning it out. Soon, it became my home and I have not been able to return to mine. Then again, he added with a chuckle, I do not think I want to return to my former home. He raised his cup to his lips and took a long sip. 

Will I become like him, I asked my guide. Will I remain in the Middle for all of my time?

And what is time here, my guide replied with a playful smile on her lips. Come, finish your tea. I did just that and we both got up, bowed to our gracious host, and left his house. As we walked on the stone path, I wondered about the samurai turned tea maker. Was he lost, or had he finally found what he was looking for? 

How much longer will he be in that house, I asked my guide.

As long as he wants to be, my guide replied. As long as the tea continues to flow, so shall he remain. Our path soon led us into a forest, populated with tall slender trees with bright orange leaves that gave off a slightly citrusy pine scent. I looked all around and wondered who I would meet next. 




Viridian Tea Company - Strange and Unusual Tea Blends!

Click HERE for the Etsy store link!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae

Lesson Learned - CONTRACT