For The Love of Bookstores - Collected Works Bookstore

 



When I first visited New Mexico in 2015, I truly thought that I had dreamt the entire vacation. The state is called The Land of Enchantment for a reason. I did enjoy my vacation and when I returned to Memphis, TN, I remained in that "good feeling" for at least six weeks. Fast forward to now - moving to New Orleans, only to take a chance and move to Colorado. Suddenly, the idea that I could visit New Mexico any time I wanted to became very real. Santa Fe, The City Different, reminds me of New Orleans - two cities that overflow with creativity and also abide by their own rules and ways of life. When my boyfriend suggested that we travel to Santa Fe for our summer vacation, I said YES. I wanted to return and see if perhaps my dream wasn't a dream. 

Aside from the food, the history, and the beautiful pueblos, I wanted to return to Santa Fe for the bookstores or rather, one bookstore in particular. Collected Works Bookstore is a charming bookstore and cafe in downtown Santa Fe and according to its website, the oldest locally owned bookstore in Santa Fe. The first time I visited the bookstore, I purchased a book regarding the history of tortillas. I enjoyed reading that book and learned quite a bit, but then decided some time later to sell it. I'm still kicking myself over that decision. When I returned this time, I asked if they had copies of the book, to which the friendly bookseller said no. There's always online ordering! Instead, we purchased several books ranging in subjects from kinky violinists to essays about New Mexico to cartographers to jackalopes. The bookstore has a fantastic selection of books involving Native American Studies as well as the Southwest. Kick ass cooking section as well. I wore my Book Wyrm shirt and two of the booksellers immediately complimented me on wearing it. Gotta love bibliophiles. 

Santa Fe is a quiet city; there are no harsh sounds surrounding you. Aside from the sounds of cars, you hear birds chirping, people talking, music being played in the square, and the winds. You feel as though you've been transported to another world, one in which the water is sweet and cold and the sopapillas are hot and fresh. Collected Works Bookstore carries that feeling and I felt refreshed as I walked inside to the cool interior. The above photo was from the courtyard at the New Mexico Museum of Art - at one point, I remembered looking up at the too-blue sky and sighing. The red chiles slowly swayed in the cool breezes, adding to the overall sense of relaxation and meditation. Santa Fe is not just a city, it's a living entity that breathes ever so slowly. And as you drift through Santa Fe, carried on winds that smell of sage and lavender, don't be alarmed when the winds lead you to Collected Works. Just smile and go inside.

Collected Works Bookstore - 202 Galisteo Street, Santa Fe, New Mexico 





Viridian Tea Company - Strange and Unusual Tea Blends!

Click HERE for the Etsy store link! 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae