An Ode To The Pencil


 

A new day has come. Time for me to open my journal, pull out my case of pencils, and write. No matter where I am, I have to have both my case of pencils and my sharpener with me whenever I write longhand. For many years, I devoted my writing to the pen (black and maybe blue at times), yet one day while I was in a botanic garden, I wanted to write something in my journal. The only writing instruments I had on me were pencils. I made sure that they were sharpened and I set to writing. Ever since I moved to Colorado, I've completely given in to the whims of the pencil and I refuse to use a pen unless if pressed. Call me an antiquated woman, but I just adore writing in pencil. What is it about the pencil that makes for such a fascinating writing tool? Well for starters, the modern pencil was invented by Nicholas-Jacques Conte in 1795 while serving as a scientist in Napoleon Bonaparte's army. There's more to pencils than what you received in grade school! Several years ago, I learned about Blackwing and discovered Graphite Heaven. I quickly ordered a box of the Blackwing Matte and found myself not wanting to use them so carelessly in my journals. Many famous authors and playwrights used Blackwing for their creative endeavours, and I wanted to throw my hat into the mix. I wanted to savour the moment, for it truly was an experience for me. The graphite felt soft and malleable to my words and I knew that whatever I wrote down would be changed forever. I also knew that whatever I wrote down could be erased as well. I gave several pencils to friends (two of them honestly had no clue as to the value) while one who's a talented artist screamed when I handed it to her. She knew what was up. As my writing increased, my Blackwings grew shorter and shorter, until all I had were nubs. I then decided to use Ticonderoga and test their claim of the World's Best Pencil. Oh my. Is it possible to feel euphoria through a pencil? Again, I wrote with such glee and haste that once again, the pencils turned too small to be used. I then turned my attention to a pack of pencils from Office Depot, and I have to say that to date, I'm not disappointed in them. They actually glide across the page. The photo above is my latest pack, each carefully sharpened and waiting to be placed in my hand. Each one waiting to write that first word in my journal. Each one, in their own way, has a story to tell that I hope I get right. I love the act of sharpening pencils with my purple sharpener that I recently discovered I had. I love seeing the wood slowly curl up from the blade with the shavings of the graphite. I love it when I press too hard on the page and the sharpened tip breaks a little yet still makes for clean writing. I also love it when I'm writing so much that I don't notice the fuzziness of the words as the point dulls down. To me, the art of writing is not just about putting words and ideas into a journal; it's also about preparing the tools needed to make such a dream become a reality. I have to have my pencils sitting next to me so that I can grab a new one to keep the ideas flowing. It's a personal and quiet affair, a way to meditate even. I'm currently writing my latest novel in longhand pencil and the cramps in my hard are worth it. If you've never seen the short French film I'm A Sharpener, you need to check it out. It's only about 17 minutes long, yet it's such a precious film. It's about a young man who is the last in the line of a family of pencil sharpeners and the plethora of clients that he receives. It's a quirky and bittersweet film and did I mention that it deals with PENCILS?


Thank you, oh Mighty Pencil!



Viridian Tea Company - Strange and Unusual Tea Blends!

Click HERE for the Etsy store link!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Lesson Learned - CONTRACT

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae