The Day After - Fiction


 

I woke up and knew that everything had changed. I glanced around as I yawned and stretched, seeing the leftover results from last night's party all over the floor. Yes, I thought with a smile, it was a fun time. I swung my legs over the side of the bed and planted my feet on the hardwood floor, ensuring that I wouldn't topple over when I stood up. I stood up. I placed my hands on my hips. I grinned. I entered the living room and noticed a sleeping form on my couch. The figure gave a loud snore, and I realized who it was. I kicked the figure lightly, then stood back as Paul rolled over and yawned loudly. My mouth tastes terrible, he groaned as he focused his bloodshot eyes on me. Did you just kick me? Time for you to leave, I replied in a sincere tone. It was a lot of fun last night, but I need to get ready for work. Paul sat up and scratched under his armpits, reminding me of a bear, then replied - got any matches? He began to pat down his rumpled shirt, then noticed a matchbox on the coffee table next to his pack of cigarettes. He quickly lit one up, then slid the pack and matches toward me. I declined. So, he replied with a drawl, I take it that you're quitting? Paul, I sighed, I was never a smoker in the first place. You keep getting me confused with Sarah. Now, that woman smokes like a chimney. Paul grinned while he smoked. Listen, I added, it was a fun time, right? Paul cocked his head to the side, cigarette barely stuck between his lips. You did have fun, right? Good lord, Paul replied in a huff, you don't remember any of it, do you? He quickly put out his half-smoked cigarette, leaned back onto the couch, and added - seeing as how you were the host, AND you didn't even drink, I'll be more than happy to replay the events of last night. He coughed once. For starters, you invited your ex-boyfriend to the party, thinking it was a good idea, Paul stated. He was a righteous ass to everyone and I finally had to tell him to leave. You then proceeded to tell everyone that you were no longer interested in converting to Judaism. I quietly dared him to go on. If it was just me, Paul went on, I wouldn't give a care, but damn it, everyone else was hoping that you would make that final leap. He lit up another cigarette and pointed the cherry at me - why did you change your mind, he asked. I shrugged my shoulders and replied - because I no longer need it. Paul smoked for a moment in silence, as if weighing my words, then grumbled - yeah well, now everyone's gonna know that you backed out at the last minute. I stared at my feet. Oh, so now you're acting shy? Get real. Listen, you really need to think about where you are in life, he said, before some narcissistic asshole decides to make you drink their Kool-Aid. Oh give me a break, I sighed as I sat down on the loveseat and cracked my knuckles. It's my decision, right? Paul nodded. So what, are you upset that I told everyone at a party and while sober? Paul remained quiet and I realized then that my day suddenly went downhill. I was never interested in being morally right but then again, maybe it was time to change that. 



Viridian Tea Company - Tea Blends, Books, Artwork, and Photography!

Click HERE for the website!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae

Lesson Learned - CONTRACT