Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Tammy Martinez


Here's the latest in my Tea series - meet Tammy Martinez!



What’s your name and what part of the world do you live in?
Hello, my name is Tammy Martinez, I reside in the United States in the Big State of Texas.

How long have you been drinking tea?
I have been drinking to all of my life but When did I truly learn to appreciate the good stuff? About 7 years ago. I had no idea how much I didn’t know about tea.  I have been studying the art of tea for over 7 years and the journey has been amazing! World Tea Academy helped to heighten my tea knowledge and the rest has come through experience, a myriad of books on tea and its history and lastly reputable instructors on YouTube.

Do you currently work in the Tea industry and if so, what do you do?
I currently have my own tea business called The Steeped Leaf Shop.  I have an online store, a small booth in an antique and craft shop. I do tea classes weekly that range from tea 101’s to specialized Gongfu Cha sessions.  I also like to participate in Vendor events & Pop Ups. My goal is to have my own tea lounge in the near future.

Why do you enjoy drinking Tea?  How does Tea make you feel?
I drink tea for many reasons: I love all of the complexities of the different teas and the added health benefits.  Preparing tea is a daily ritual for me which creates another level of enjoyment. I prepare Matcha every morning and using the chawan, chasen, chashaku and I even use a chakin or my matcha bowl.  Preparing tea is a special time for me, it causes me to slow down and it keeps me mindful of what my focus is on at that moment...just tea and me.

Any special practices or customs you adhere to while drinking your Tea?
Being present and in the moment with my tea.  I always have a clean, clear and uncluttered area. Even if I’m working every item is perfectly situated at my desk or table.  I usually use my bamboo tea tray to prepare my tea gongfu style. It may seem like a lot of work but it isn’t really. It’s very relaxing as I methodically prepare my tea time.

What’s your all time favourite kind/blend of Tea?
This is probably the toughest question.  Seven years ago I would have said Kukicha because that was my first introduction to a very different type of green tea ( shoots & twigs...who knew?)  I would drink it every day! But after years of trying so many different teas I can’t say that I have met a tea or tisane that I didn’t like. I have seasons when I drink all kinds of black teas and then I have seasons green teas and then I have seasons of oolongs and so on.  I do have a fascination with the Da Hong Pao Wuyi teas...Big Red Robe being my absolute favorite when I can my hands on a higher quality batch.

Finally, what book are you currently reading?
I am currently reading, A Child of the King by Bill Bright and M.R. Wells.  “A world of kings and princes on noble steeds, of evil forces wielding dark powers, and of a mystical snow-white dove, all who come to life in the land of Withershins.” I usually pick out a book from our vast library, steep a huge pot of tea, and read books to my husband.  During the cool nights we’ll sit outside and make a fire in our chimenea and I’ll read to him for several hours. Reading and Sipping tea!










Much thanks to Tammy Martinez!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae