Friday, I'm In Love . . . With Tea Ceremonies

 

(random photo by me)


I had to steal that line from The Cure (love the song, BTW).

It's Friday, half of my mouth is numb from visiting the dentist, and I'm feeling quite good. The temperatures have warmed up somewhat here in Denver and I'm ready to get outside to enjoy it. 

I've been thinking about studying more Tea Ceremonies and sharing what I've learned with people. Not for reasons of showing off, but in assisting people with alternative ways of relaxing and slowing down. The pandemic has taught me a great deal about slowing down, meditating more, and asking myself the question: what am I missing? Even when my anxiety wants me to MOVE MOVE MOVE, I slow down. And eat Fig Newtons. Watching a Tea Ceremony (Chado) is like watching time turn into dripping maple syrup. There is no "hurry up and finish". With a Tea Ceremony, you leave the demands of the world at the door and enter into another form of Time. You and others come together to spend some time embracing the Tea lifestyle - a sense of community and respect for each other and yourself. Perhaps it will be a Japanese Tea Ceremony, or Korean, or maybe a new one created by you or friends. The bottom line is that you are consciously taking the time to come fully into the Tea as an art form and also what lies within you. 

The first time I did a Tea Ceremony was in Phoenix, Arizona. I was attending a Japanese festival (matsuri), and I learned that they were offering short Tea Ceremonies. I eagerly waited my turn, then walked into the tent . . . and everything fell away. My group sat in chairs in a circle and watched as a Japanese woman offered bowls of Matcha to us. We were told that once we received our bowl, we were to turn it so many times before taking a sip. After that, we would receive candies to offset the grassy and slightly bitter taste of the Matcha. Once we finished, we were to slurp, showing our approval of the Matcha and the host, turn the bowl several times, and then wipe the rim. Although the ceremony lasted ten minutes, one thought entered and remained in my brain - I want to know more! 

Perhaps you feel inspired to conduct a Tea Ceremony in a park, or perhaps in someone's home (with social distancing)! If you create a ceremony for one, then maybe sitting in your backyard, or somewhere else in your home/apartment/yurt. Surround yourself with flowers, plants, books, or whatever ignites your imagination. Perhaps have some soft music playing in the background. Make it special, make it unique, but always remember to welcome the connection between yourself and the Tea. 

Brew your favourite Tea. Take a sip. Embrace the stillness. Happy Friday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae