Pulling Up Weeds


 


Celebrating Shabbat can come in a myriad of ways - going to a synagogue, spending time with friends, enjoying a cup of kosher wine on a Friday evening, or pulling up weeds. This past Friday, my boyfriend and I did just that. Now that Spring has (somewhat) arrived in Denver, the time to exercise the green thumb comes at you like a very good itch. For the longest time, I had much respect for all things green and growing, yet never really took the time to do anything about it. That all changed when I moved to Colorado. If you're not into Nature and being a part of it, then Colorado may not be for you. But, I digress. Last Friday held nice temperatures with a bare hint of cool breezes - the perfect time to pull up weeds. After enjoying some local beer consumption time, James started to pull up weeds in the backyard. I soon joined him. At first, I was the official bag holder as he dumped weeds into it, only to change as I sat down on the pebbles to get good and dirty. I would grab a small bunch of weeds (rabbit food) and pull with all of my might, only to see them break and the leaves fall into my hands. I needed to slow down and gently tug until both the weed AND the root finally erupted from the dirt. Rather than a small bunch, I changed to two or three at a time. 

There was something quite satisfying as I felt the root loosen itself from the soil and allow itself to be pulled up by me. I did feel sort of bad as I pulled up the weeds, mostly because of the rabbits that live in the area - where would they get their breakfast now? I'm sure McDonalds wouldn't suffice. However, another thought came to me as I pulled - the feeling of peace and of being content. Ever since I took a part-time job to assist me financially with my tea company and being a published author, I noticed that my "down" time was fewer and farther between. As I pulled on the weeds, I felt myself go into a somewhat meditative state. I had no errands to run, no deadlines to worry over. Just pull up the weeds and place them in a bag. Clear out space for the new while acknowledging what no longer serves a purpose. This was my downtime and my way of acknowledging that Shabbat had indeed arrived again. I was so happy with the feeling that I pulled on several dead weeds too quickly and received a lovely present of a thick splinter that caused my thumb some serious pain. My boyfriend removed the splinter and I was done with pulling weeds for the evening.

Next time, go slow and pull gently. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae

A Flash of Jazz - Acoustic Bicycle