Smelling the Lilacs


 

I know nothing about lilacs, except that their smell is heavenly. Apparently, a large bush grows in my boyfriend's backyard; I had to see the blossoms up close. One sniff and I smiled. . . and then I wanted to know more about it. The Latin name is Syringa vulgaris and they are a part of the olive family. When people want to calm down, lavender seems to be such the usual go-to (I love lavender too!), yet smelling those lilacs brought about a sense of calm within me as well. How many people smelled lilacs for the first time in their lives and suddenly felt inspired to capture that scent or the colour? I will also admit that when I smelled the bush, I thought about Squidward in the SpongeBob Squarepants cartoon who apparently loves lilac soaps LOL!

Why am I finally taking notice of the natural beauty around me, after years of enjoying walks through Overton Park and the botanical gardens in Memphis, or City Park in New Orleans? What has changed for me, if anything? Am I now mature enough to appreciate the world, or perhaps it's just the "right time"? Does it even matter? All I do know is that I can appreciate the smell of lilacs now. I can see their bright Spring coloured blossoms and accept them and their place on this planet. I want to purchase a botnaical guidebook and use it as my guide for the world. I want to really see what grows before me. I want to understand and thanks so far to dandelions, grape hyacinths, and now lilacs, I am. 

Time to smell the lilacs again!



Looking for tea blends beyond the norm? Try Viridian Tea Company!

Tea Blends for the Strange and Unusual!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae

A Flash of Jazz - Acoustic Bicycle