Forest Bathing - Fiction



What if I got it all wrong? What if the very thing I'd been trying to avoid was the one thing I desperately needed? That's what Charles thought of as he enjoyed his Chinese food with his friend, Simon. Every Thursday was their time to kick back and enjoy Chinese food, as they discussed their lives with each other. While Simon kept Charles laughing with his latest tales of working in a coffee shop, Charles countered with stories of working in the local bookstore down the street. Yet, as he reached for his egg roll, the thought came to him that perhaps, he was wrong. He set his chopsticks to the side, giving Simon enough of a reason to stop talking and look at him with some concern. Hey, he asked, what's up? You looked as though someone stepped over your grave. Charles smirked as he replied - wow, people still say things like that, huh? He took a sip of his jasmine tea and continued - I spent so much of my life rebelling against the world. Maybe the very thing I've been trying to avoid is the one thing I need in my life. I work in a bookstore, have a nice apartment with a killer jazz vinyl collection, yet I honestly don't know who or what I'm truly supposed to be. Simon listened intently to his friend and then replied - we were born with no instructions, ya know. We're supposed to get it wrong a lot. That's how we grow as humans. I walked away from a six-figure job because I love coffee more. Love it so much that I brew it five times a week and serve it to the world. Sometimes, I get a smile and thank you. Sometimes, I don't. Yet, as of right now, this is my place in the world and I honestly wouldn't want it any other way. Simon continued eating, only to stop again to add - when was the last time you walked through a forest just to take in deep breaths of pure air? When was the last time you took a day off just to play your jazz albums, instead of talking about how much you love collecting them? When was the last time you did anything that was solely for you? Charles looked at his friend, then grabbed his chopsticks and picked up a piece of chicken from his plate. He placed the chicken in his mouth, chewed slowly, and then the answer appeared in his mind. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae

A Flash of Jazz - Acoustic Bicycle