Why Reading?



What makes us read certain books? Do we read them because the subject matter capitvates us, or perhaps it's because we simply ADORE the author and will read everything they've written? Maybe it's because we've heard so much about them and want to know why they are loved. Or hated. Or even feared. No matter the reason, we read because . . . we can. This morning, I got into a discussion with my boyfriend regarding the authors we read. I started reading David Foster Wallace (I'll have a somewhat review of his book Both Flesh and Not on my YouTube channel!) this morning. An essay regarding Wimbledon seemed simple enough, yet as I read I noticed that I was engrossed in his words and that I had forgotten to make my morning cup of French Roast with hazelnut creamer. And yes, as much as I adore tea, I just can't give up the Bean quite yet! But I digress. Here were the words of a man who committed suicide in 2008, a man that many in the literary world continue to adore. And . . . . a man who also was abusive to several women, according to several articles I read. So - do I stop reading him because of his past actions, or do I continue reading him because I honestly want to read him? As readers (and writers), should we overlook an author's personal life for the sake of their glorious tomes? Does their personal life have any bearing on us reading them? I will admit that one of the reasons why I don't read Lovecraft is because he was known to be a horrific racist. However, he didn't live during my time, so do I have any right to judge him? I adore Hemingway and yet he was a rake. I can't get enough of Patricia Highsmith's work, yet she was known to be somewhat racist and eccentric in a bad way. Since when did reading a book for pleasure come with baggage? I love to read. If a book grabs my attention, I will read it. Sometimes, I will do a little research on the author, just to see what kind of person they are/were, and then I usually return to their books. I read books to expand my knowledge on a subject, to give in to pleasure and relaxation, or to gain a different perspective. Some of the authors I read are long gone, yet their words live on so long as we continue to read them. I will continue reading David Foster Wallace, knowing what I know, and I will enjoy his books in my own way. 

In France, a reader of books is known as an Ink Drinker. My belly doth overflow with the ink.



Viridian Tea Company - Tea Blends for the Strange and Unusual!


(Tea of the Dominant - from the White Door Erotic Tea Collection)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae

A Flash of Jazz - Acoustic Bicycle