Mindful Essay - What Brings Me Joy


 I was sitting outside under the Colorado sun while waiting for the all-clear. You see, I decided to take the day off to enjoy the Denver Art Museum. It was one of their Free Days and I figured, why not! It had been way too long since I last visited. However, while enjoying some photography, the buzzers went off and a mechanical voice came on, announcing that there was a fire emergency and for everyone to evacuate. I sighed a little and made my way down the stairs just like everyone else. While most people tried to find a shady spot to wait, I sat down on one of the benches under the glare of the sun and decided to sweat it out. Several minutes later, a French family walked up to the bench and sat down as they happily chatted amongst themselves. I spoke to them en francais and they were pleasant in replying. They soon left and bid me an au revoir, to which I replied in kind. Several minutes later, we received the all-clear and I returned inside to the cool museum and viewed art for three hours. As I walked around, I noticed that the art represented all corners of the globe and it made me feel quite joyful. At one point, a volunteer struck up a conversation with me and we both learned how the other was a creative soul. We spoke of dreams and harsh realities, ways to change the course of the world, and how art can be used as a means of expression. I gave her my email address and asked her to reach out for a cup of coffee or tea, then walked on. After my three hours, I returned home starving yet happy and spiritually filled. This event made me wonder about joy and if we have been living our lives with a severe lack of it. Thanks to social media, I'm seeing more and more people feeling miserable, angry, fearful, anxious, righteous, and downright evil. In fact, I've been spending more time "doom-scrolling" instead of working on my latest novel (titled Louis & Estelle), learning about tea, journaling, going on nature walks, or doing anything that brings me joy. This past Monday, I attended violin class at Denver Violins and it was quite an educational 90 minutes. To walk around the desks and see violins, violas, and cellos being built stunned me. When my teacher placed a violin made in 1740 in my hands, I wanted to cry with joy. I told her that I'd never held anything that old before in my life (except for the time when I stood next to Plymouth Rock, but I digress) and I wondered how many hands had held and played that violin. What stories could it tell? Despite all of the anger and hatred in the world today, I know that joy is real. Joy still exists and others know of it as well. They know that it's always darkest before the dawn. They know that they can still hug a tree and hear it slowly breathe. They know that they can share a pot of tea with a friend or loved one in silence and feel that joy coming through. Some people want to focus on self-inflicted drama or manipulation of others, or whatever bullshit they can concoct in their little grey cells. However, I want to be a source of joy for not only myself but also for others. I want people who are feeling down to know that yes, joy is still possible today. So, go outside for a walk. Purchase a blank journal and fill it with dreams and ideas, or perhaps nothing but poetry. Call a friend you haven't spoken with in quite some time. Walk through an art museum, or around a lake. Go visit your library and check out some books. Listen to music that uplifts your soul. Do all those things and spread your joy around. 



Viridian Tea Company - Strange and Unusual Teas, Books, and Artwork!

Click HERE for the Etsy store link!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae