The Cult of Dead Authors - Fiction

 

(Model: Alissa)


She was in love with a dead author. I tried to tell her that there were plenty of fish in the sea, yet she would have none of that. He touches my soul in a way that most living men could never do, she told me one morning over cups of jasmine tea. I slowly sipped on my tea, allowing the flavours to wash over my tongue while she spoke of how one night, she located codes within his works that spoke to her. I know that somehow, she said as she took her cup in her hands and studied it, he's seeking me out. That his words, written several hundred years ago, were written so that I can comprehend them now. I know he loves me. I smiled and finished off my tea, then poured myself another cup. You think I'm mad, she said with a sad smile. You think I'm lonely. Honestly, I replied, I really don't know what to think. All of my life, she replied, I've dreamt of living a life filled with good books, witty conversations, multiple visits to art museums, the reemergence of the salon, and knowing that character is more important than personality. He's like that and so much more, she finished as she set her cup in its saucer, then leaned back in her chair. We have all of those things now, I replied as I looked out the window to fulfill my job of being a professional flaneur. See outside, I asked her. This is the same kind of world that he inhabited. The only difference is the style of clothing. Everything you claim you want is right there. I pointed at a bench for emphasis. There are others out there like us; you just have to dig a little deeper. She pulled out her worn copy of one of her love's books from her bag and set it on the table. Then, ever so carefully, she began to rip out the pages one by one. I watched in horror as she tore each page into little bits, then placed several of the bits in her tea and drank it all down. It's one thing to merely desire the life, she said as she ripped out more pages, but it's another thing entirely to fuse them with your being. You're right, I replied as I sipped on my tea. You are mad. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae

Lesson Learned - CONTRACT