A Flash of Jazz - Cigarette Lover



After Thomas accidentally burned my arm with his cigarette, I quickly kissed him. I knew he was shocked; after all, I was in pain due to him being careless. But, seeing as how I'd had too much to drink at the party, kissing the most laid-back person there seemed like a really good idea. When we pulled away, he stared at me a long time, then took a drag from his still-lit cigarette and said - want one? Seems like you deserve it now. He shook out one from his crumpled pack and I eagerly took it, even though I wasn't a smoker. I tucked it behind my ear and replied - so, now that we're better acquainted, tell me more about this book you're writing. His eyes lit up as he dove right in - a story about a man with no name who decides to hitchhike and collect stories along the way. And, he said as he waggled his cigarette at me, before you ask, yes, I did that last year. Actually, I wasn't going to ask him, but he seemed to think it was truly that important. I live my life by the fringes, Thomas told me with a smug grin on his face. Suddenly, I had a need to go to the bathroom. Without offering any kind of explanation, I got up from the couch and slowly made my way through the crowd and the piano jazz coming from the turntable to the bathroom and locked myself in. I sat on top of the toilet and stared at my feet wedged into a pair of high heels I shouldn't have bought but did anyway. I sighed once then pulled the cigarette from behind my ear. I sniffed it and smiled. At least you make sense, I whispered to it, then politely flushed it down the toilet. At that moment, I knew that I was in love and that I was drunk. 


Inspiration music: Preminado by the Barry Harris Trio 


Viridian Tea Company - Tea Blends for the Strange and Unusual!
Click HERE for the Etsy store link!



Library of Alexandria Herbal Tisane 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae