The Emotional and The Seductive - A Love of Classical Music

 


One of my earlier memories regarding Classical music took place when I attended a summer session at Andover Academy in Massachusetts. I had just finished playing tennis and was on my way back to my dorm, when I noticed that a girl walking ahead of me was singing a song in another language. When I asked her what she was singing, she gave a melodramatic sigh and replied with - Opera. It wasn't a sign of someone who was in love or in awe of the music, but rather the sigh of someone who couldn't be bothered to speak with someone about her love of opera. I then asked her which one and she replied Madame Butterfly, to which I told her that I knew of that opera. Many years later, I was able to see that opera performed live, thanks to Opera Memphis. In any case, Classical music has been a part of my life for years, but only recently have I truly given it the due respect it deserves. 

Truth be told, I adore Classical music and will play it as much as I can. I love listening to Classical music while I am reading, writing, and working at my job (Crate and Barrel). Classical music, if you listen to it with sincerity, was and continues to be revolutionary, emotional, profane, powerful, gentle, supple, seductive, and on and on. Classical music, at least for me, opens a window, allowing the overflow of emotions to rush at me. To take musical notes and turn them into works of art - Classical music accomplishes that, as well as jazz (that's another post). Classical music allows a listener to dive within themselves and seek a beauty that can not be described. 

Several years ago, I wanted to study the violin. Two of my teachers were from the Memphis Symphony Orchestra. When I learned how to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, I felt as though a hidden world finally revealed itself to me. For those of you who know me, I adore the violin, so much so that the musical instrument has played a part in my writing and my tea blends. One of my teachers invited me to a rehearsal and let me tell ya, that was one of the most beautiful moments I've ever had in my life. I wanted to whip out my camera and take as many photos as possible of the orchestra, to somehow capture the music within my photos. Instead, I sat in my chair and felt as though I couldn't breathe. I've also attended recitals in churches - one that stood out was a cellist who seemed to have been possessed by his cello. I can't remember his name but I'm sure it will come to me at 3 in the morning. I've seen Joshua Bell perform live and I've never seen a violin played like THAT before. Gave me goosebumps. When I later met him and shook his hand, I almost fainted. 

I have no set expectations when I listen to Classical music. All I want is to float along the waves in a state of euphoria. All I want is to touch the minds of those who came before me and see their view of the world at that time. I also want to connect with the musicians of the here and now and experience their views as well. What does a falling leaf sound like? What does a broken heart sound like? What does the solar system sound like? Glenn Gould, Alexandre Theraud, Antonio Vivaldi, Erik Satie, Corelli, Luigi Boccherini, Albinoni, Hyacinthe Jadin (currently listening to his work while typing), Jordi Savall, Harlem Quartet, Joshua Bell, Yo Yo Ma, Martha Argerich, The Wong Janice, Hilary Hahn - all of these names and many more were/are excellent representations of the world of Classical music. They breathe (or given their last breath) constant life into the music, sustaining it for generations to come. My granddad once told me that Classical music was "only for long hairs". He couldn't have been more wrong. This kind of music is for everyone who wishes to dream. 

Last note - one of my tea blends in my company was inspired by the pianist Erik Satie. Click HERE for details!

Finally, I highly recommend checking out the website The Classic Review!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae