For the Love of Bookstores - Burke's Books

 


One of the things I have missed since leaving Memphis was Burke's Books in the Cooper-Young District of Midtown Memphis. They are the oldest bookstore in the city and in having such an honour like that, you can be sure to find anything and everything within their store. I remember many years ago that the bookstore was located in an old building at 1719 Poplar Avenue in Midtown and then Corey and Cheryl Mesler bought the bookstore in 2000 and moved to Cooper-Young in 2007. Yet, the "feel" of that bookstore was still the same with a smell that I always affiliated with Midtown. That smell seemed to be a mix of old paper, vanilla, rainwater, and earth. Some of the older apartments in Midtown had that smell and I loved it every time I walked into a building or a friend's home. Or, even my high-rise apartment in a historic building that was possibly haunted. But, that's another story.  

I feel terrible that I didn't go to Burke's as much as I should. It should have been a Sunday event for me, right after enjoying a good breakfast out somewhere, or after taking a long walk in Overton Park. However, I did support them as best as I could and even though I now live in Colorado, there's this wonderful thing called "ordering online". I recently ordered a book by a Swedish author I'd never heard of (Claire Akebrand) from them and finally started it last night. Reading the quiet novel suddenly reminded me of a time when I went to Burke's one rainy weekend day. There were several patrons milling about in the bookstore, and so I joined them in escaping the rain and also looking for a new read to carry home. There was this guy talking with a friend of his as they stood in the middle of the bookstore. He sounded slightly arrogant and I remembered how I felt a little irritated at him. Looking back, I now realize that that was part of the bookstore experience. You visit a bookstore not just for looking for books, but also to engage with people in a nondirect way. Even as we are still in the middle of this pandemic, walking around in a bookstore while your personal bubble brushes against someone else's without having to talk with them is still needed. I can't believe that I still remember that guy on that rainy day.

You also visited Burke's during the Cooper-Young Festival, a one-day event that occurred on a Saturday in September. The streets were closed off, allowing a plethora of artists, musicians, food, and everyone and anyone to walk the streets and give in to the eclectic magick that Midtown gave off. It was also a chance to run into friends you hadn't seen since the last Cooper-Young Festival. I called the festival "Midtown Reunion", because I always ran into people who lived in the area with me, yet we never hung out. Burke's would have their doors open, ready to welcome everyone who wanted a good book. The place would be crawling with patrons and I wondered if they ever returned once the festival was over. Whenever I returned to Cooper-Young after the festival, it was quiet with few people walking around, doing their usual Sunday routine. The bookstore was still open, much quieter yet with fewer patrons and still with that lovely Midtown scent. 


Burke's Books - 936 South Cooper Street, Memphis, TN 38104 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae