For the Love of Bookstores - An Ongoing Project

 


(Arcadian Books and Art Prints - New Orleans)

Happy New Year - let's hope that 2022 will be a good one for all of us.

Bookstores are, in short, my lifeblood. I can't imagine my life without them. Several of my tea blends in my company were inspired by books! In a way, it makes me feel good to know that when I walk into a bookstore, there's a really good chance that I'll purchase a book (or three or five). I love the moment when my eyes find a title that seems intriguing or hilarious, or one that makes me think - what the ever-living fuck?! Whenever I visit a new city, one of the first things I do is scout out their bookstores. Not the immense chain stores, but rather the one located on a back street, or one with a sign hanging outside that looks to be older than dirt. The bookstore that has tables sitting outside, filled with hardbacks and paperbacks that are ready to go home with you. You walk inside and immediately, the scents of lavender, old paper, vanilla, and perhaps a touch of pepper greet your nose. A bookstore clerk, seated behind the counter or perhaps engaged in a conversation with a regular customer, greets you, and when they say Welcome to you . . . you can actually feel it in your soul. You want to look around. You want to peruse their titles. You want to be a part of the magick.

My love of bookstores came from my mother. When I was little, she used to take me to our local library branch in Memphis, TN, where I would grab several books and carry them home. As I got older, I would receive money from my grandparents, leading to a trip to a bookstore immediately. I've spent tons of money in bookstores, worked in three bookstores, and even did readings of my books in several. Yet, the feeling, the excitement of discovery of books has never left me as I walk into a new bookstore. A new area of the universe reveals itself to me, and all I can do is solemnly give it its due. 

So, what's up with this? Why an ongoing project? Well, it's because this WILL be ongoing - as long as I travel (limited due to our current COVID matters), I will always locate bookstores. And, in doing so, I want to share my explorations with you, my wonderful readers of this blog. I'll also post fondly of bookstores that I've visited in my past yet still have a place in my heart. As my current home is Denver Metro in Colorado, I'm realizing that there are a number of bookstores in this state that I have yet to explore. I hope that can happen quite soon. And, I have to admit that our thrift stores have wonderful book sections as well - give them a proper moment of respect too!

Take my hand and let's go to a bookstore. 

(currently listening to Suzanne Vega - she's so amazing and I bet she's a bibliophile) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crows

Choices - Flash Fiction

Tea Is A Good Friend of Mine - Celia Carmen Aceae